Total Pageviews

Friday, October 1, 2010

Friday at last!!

Whats going on with this weather? I really cant complain because it motivates me to keep up with the raw food menu here at the casa. Tonight I made some raw tacos and served them with the left over spinach soup. For dessert we had raw pumpkin cheesecake. The reason I keep wanting to make more raw foods is simple, the flavors are amazing and I'm finding it more manageable than I thought it could be. I don't have a dehydrator (yet) and the taco "meat" you see below is walnuts! That's right people, walnuts thrown in the food processor and then mixed with some cumin and coriander and a little un-pasteurized soy sauce. The flavors and textures are out of this world. If you have these 4 simple ingredients in your kitchen go ahead and try these tacos because once you taste them you'll laugh hard at how weird and tasty this can be. I served them with fresh romaine leaves for the tortilla and some guacamole, salsa and chips with hemp and chia seeds from TJ's none the less.
As for the cheesecake well I just finished my second piece. Made from cashew nuts, the taste makes you think twice about the traditional cheesecakes that are out there.
Right now I'm a raw food makin' fool and even Miranda is in my team for this! I'm not sure how long it may last but until then I'm just going to enjoy freaking out my taste buds and confusing the family.

As I was downloading the pictures from my tired looking camera I noticed a bunch of Quinn and Miranda so I added them to this post.









Raw! no way dad. (I make his food also ,next up, green beans)








Raw food does NOT make you crazy!



Tonight's double rainbow.



Pumpkin cheesecake






The taco filling.




Taco Mix from Rawvolution in Santa Monica,

1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp nama shoyu

Blend the nuts until coarse
Mix in rest of ingredients
Serve on a romaine leaf

Pumpkin Cheesecake from

CRUST 2 cups soaked pecans
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup of dates, unsoaked

Process nuts, spices, vanilla and salt in a food processor until fine; add dates. Continue to process until well incorporated. Transfer the mixture into a 9-inch springform pan and press evenly onto the bottom. Place the pan in the refrigerator until filling is ready

FILLING3 cups of cashews, soaked for 1 hour to soften
½ cup lemon juice
½ cup carrot juice
¼ cup raw agave nectar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons organic vanilla extract
Mix cashews, lemon juice, carrot juice, agave, spice and vanilla in blender; process until smooth and creamy. Make sure the filling has no lumps. Pour the cheese mixture onto the crust. Place the cheesecake into the freezer for 4 hours or until firm. Let come to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment